Here We Are
One of my all-time favourite books and authors!
View the story here:
In this edition I have explored the book as a mentor text for writers. I have listed the trait, goal with page number and evidence within the text.
- The topic is narrow, clear, and manageable.
Front Cover: Here We Are – Notes for living on planet Earth.
Page 3: It is a big globe,
floating in space,
on which we live.
- The pictures enhance the key ideas.
Page 13: Labels on the body illustration
Brain (for thinking)
Heart ( to pump your blood)
Page 15/16: Illustrations of the people
- It has an introduction that is an “attention grabber”. The reader is interested in reading on.
Page 3: Well, hello.
Page 6: So let’s get started with a quick tour.
- The conclusion leaves the reader with resolution.
Page 31: Make sure you look after it,
As it all we’ve got.
Page 37: You’re never alone on Earth.
- The reader feels “connected” to the writer.
Page 2: *Probably not to scale
Page 3: Well, hello.
Page 28: Just remember to leave notes for everyone else.
- The words are specific and build understanding.
Page 13: Labels on the illustration
Page 30: 7,327,450,667 and counting.
- The selection of words should help the reader see, feel, hear, taste, or understand.
Page 8: hot, pointy, cold, bumpy, flat, dry, wet
- The writer chooses words that sound good, and the writing is easy to read.
Page 30: It looks big, Earth.
But there are lots of us on here.
So be kind.
There is enough for everyone.
- Punctuation is accurate and appropriate.
Page 11: Though it can get pretty complicated…
Page 32: Now, if you need to know anything else…
- There is an alignment between the text and visuals.
Page 17: They come in even more shapes, sizes, and colours.
Page 21 & 22: Things can sometimes move slowly here on Earth.
Page 35: …you can always ask someone else.
Have fun exploring this text with your writers!
NEW FOR 2021:
Book Club: Join Up Now!
The second teaching resource was emailed on 17th of February 2021!
Check out the details at: https://andreahillbrick.com.au/shop-online-resources/book-club-2/
Join any time to receive all the teacher resources for each book during 2021!