Teaching Ideas: The One and Only Ivan
Suitable for Year 3 – 6
The resource includes:
- 60+ open ended teaching ideas that can be differentiated and transferred to other texts.
These teaching ideas include:
Part 1: The One and Only Ivan
- Hooks to engage
- Strategies to build the readers understanding of the texts
- Strategies to motivate writers
- Learning experiences with strong connections to mathematics
- Springboards for investigations
Part 2: The One and Only Bob
- Hooks to engage
- Learning experiences to support readers to make text to text connections between the two novels.
The One and Only Ivan
Ivan, an adult male silverback gorilla, has been living in captivity for 27 years, most of that time on display at the Exit 8 Big Top Mall and Video Arcade, along with Stella, a wise older elephant, and Bob, a sassy stray dog. Julia, the janitor’s daughter, helps Ivan with his artistic efforts. But when Mack, the owner of the mall, introduces a baby elephant named Ruby, Ivan sees his captivity for what it is. Realizing that Ruby needs more freedom, Ivan assumes his rightful place as a leader and secures a better future for himself and his friends.
The One and Only Bob
The story follows Ivan’s canine friend Bob as he sets out on a dangerous journey in search of his long-lost sister, with the aid of his two best friends, Ivan and Ruby. As a hurricane approaches and time is running out, Bob finds courage he never knew he had, and he learns the true meaning of friendship and family.
Published in 2020
This teaching resource is designed for teachers who love to explore books in ‘hands on’ and engaging ways!
File Type: PDF (Acrobat) Document File
File size: 2.18 MB
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before purchasing.