Why I Love Footy
By Michael Wagner
You can view Michael reading the story at HERE
To take advantage of all a book has to offer I implement a Teacher Book Walk!
What is a Teacher Book Walk? (TBW)
We implement a ‘walk’ through the book together -with a colleague or in a team.
Implementing a TBW helps us consider all the learning opportunities presented in the text:
- Teaching writers
- Teaching readers
- Teaching mathematicians
- Teaching investigators
During a TBW, we consider all components of the fiction or non-fiction book:
- front and back covers
- table of contents
- speech captions
- thought bubbles
- font style and size
- end pages
We use what we have discovered from the TBW to make connections with the needs and interests of our learners.
How do we implement a TBW?
- Select a small selection of books.
- Read a brief overview of each book. This book is about…a synopsis for books can be located online.
- Select one book to implement a TBW.
- View or implement a read aloud of the book – become very familiar with the book.
- Walk through the book and consider each feature or page.
- Identify a learning opportunity and share.
- Make links to your learners, to teaching strategies and to the curriculum.
It is amazing what you discover when you collaborate to identify quality teaching strategies through exploring quality texts!