Why I love Footy
By Michael Wagner
You can view Michael reading the story at HERE
To take advantage of all a book has to offer I implement a Teacher Book Walk!
What is a Teacher Book Walk? (TBW)
We implement a ‘walk’ through the book together -with a colleague or in a team.
Implementing a TBW helps us consider all the learning opportunities presented in the text:
- Teaching writers
- Teaching readers
- Teaching mathematicians
- Teaching investigators
During a TBW, we consider all components of the fiction or non-fiction book:
- front and back covers
- table of contents
- speech captions
- thought bubbles
- font style and size
- end pages
We use what we have discovered from the TBW to make connections with the needs and interests of our learners.
How do we implement a TBW?
- Select a small selection of books.
- Read a brief overview of each book. This book is about…a synopsis for books can be located online.
- Select one book to implement a TBW.
- View or implement a read aloud of the book – become very familiar with the book.
- Walk through the book and consider each feature or page.
- Identify a learning opportunity and share.
- Make links to your learners, to teaching strategies and to the curriculum.
It is amazing what you discover when you collaborate to identify quality teaching strategies through exploring quality texts!
Check out my TBW for Michael’s engaging story – I Love Footy!
If you get a chance to implement one of these ideas tag me in on your post!
I would love to see these ideas come alive!